Donna’s been making this delicious Italian soup a lot lately. It’s inspired by a Weight Watcher recipe. She added the cannelini beans to make it a whopping 2 points per serving (that’s not much for you non-Weight Watchers). It’s got a ton of flavor with the addition of the pepper flakes, garlic, and herbs. I adjusted the recipe to use the greens I received in my CSA box. You can also change up the herbs according to what you’ve got as well.
Me and Donna are both into Weight Watcher’s, but to say that we were traumitized by the new points system would be an understatement. Basically Weight Watchers screwed us on our wine points. Yeah, we get to eat a lot more vegetables and fruit, so what. After miles of walks on the boardwalk at the beach on our lunch break, we finally realized that there was a whole lot of food we were avoiding just to have points for wine. So we decided to cut back on the wine. I just want to emphasize the cut back part of that last sentence, not eliminate all together. It’s a win-win situation…drink the wine but less of it, and eat more.
Donna’s Italian Soup
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- small piece of parmgianno-reggiano rind
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, small dice
- 2 zucchini, small dice
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, small dice
- 1 fennel bulb, small dice
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 bunches of spinach, escarole, colard greens, or chard (I used the colard greens and chard)
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- fennel leaves, choppped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmigiano-reggiano shavings for garnish
Skim zee skum…
Add the greens. Cover and cook until vegetables and greens are tender.
Add the fresh herbs.
And you’ve got Donna’s declicious Italian soup.
The cleaning continues… This time it was the closet in the green room. You might be asking yourself “where is the green room”? It’s the room with all of the tiki furniture. It’s red now, but it used to be green. It will always be green to us. Okay, just go with it.
Sunshine found an abundance of cameras in the green room closet. There’s a nice Power Shot S3-IS up for grabs. Free, works fine. Who wants it?