Super Bowl requires cheesy finger food. Sunshine usually makes his Velveeta cheese dip and serves it with Fritos. This year we wanted to “health it up”. So we made onion dip with non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Stephanie REALLY liked that. And now for the cheesy part, BBQ jalapeño poppers. I love The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Lee Drummond and this recipe is from the book. I made a few adjustments, like using low fat cream cheese. They were still a hit.
BBQ Jalapeño Poppers
- 18 fresh jalapeños
- 8 ounce block of cream cheese (I used low fat)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion (or minced shallot if you forgot the green onion like I did)
- 18 slices thin bacon, cut in halves (well…mine was thick, just required additional cooking time)
- Bottled barbecue sauce
- Toothpicks (I got the wrong kind and had to cut them in half, oh brother)
- Rubber gloves for working with the jalapeños (Oops, didn’t do that….ouch, I rubbed my eyes. I won’t use gloves next time either, what a dork. )
Preheat oven to 275°. Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds and membrane. Combine the cream cheese, green onions and cheddar cheese in bowl. Stuff each jalapeño half with cream cheese mixture. Wrap each half with bacon. Brush with BBQ sauce, then secure with a toothpick. Pop them in the oven on an unlined baking sheet for 1 hour, or more if you’re using thick bacon. I liked them best at room temperature.
Ooooohhh…Lee mentioned something about placing two of these on top of your burger. I like that idea! Maybe I’ll try it on top of a chicken slider!
Really? No one wants the pizza stone for the grill? It’s still up for grabs if you want it. Thom??